THE WORLD’S MOST ADVANCED RESEARCH CAPABILITIES
Pellissippi Place, located in the Oak Ridge Technology Corridor of Tennessee, offers companies the distinct advantage of proximity to the resources of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory
ORNL, the Department of Energy’s largest science and energy laboratory, is managed by a partnership of the University of Tennessee and Battelle. With a staff of 4,600 and annual funding of more than $1.4 billion, it has six major research areas:
- Neutron science. This area houses the Spallation Neutron Source, the world’s most powerful neutron source
- High-performance computing; ORNL is home to Jaguar, the world’s fastest supercomputer
- Systems biology
- Materials science at the nanoscale
- National security.
The nearby presence of ORNL provides many benefits to R&D companies:
- A trained labor force in highly technological fields in energy, materials science, and other areas
- Numerous possibilities for the commercialization of research from ORNL labs
- Access to federal government and private financial sources through subcontracting opportunities.